Potatoes can be stored for weeks in a cool and dark place. They come in very handy when you think you have nothing at home to cook with because you can make so many potato-based dishes. My favourites are mashed potatoes, fries, and filled potatoes from the oven!
When I was making mashed potatoes I had to throw away the skins in the compost bin. Of course I could make the vegetable stock but I already had enough of that in the fridge. But then I stumbled upon a recipe that I wanted to try out for a while now: potato peel chips.
Since we started to reduce our waste at home we stopped buying chips. The packaging of regular chips come in 12 layers of plastic, aluminium and paper. These can not be recycled because the thin layers are impossible to take apart. Therefore they end up in landfill or the incinerator.
Fortunately, we found a solution for both challenges in making chips from potato peels. It is a very easy recipe that can be done on the side, while cooking mashed potatoes.
Some important things to mention:
- Wash your potatoes beforehand.
- Make sure the potato peels are dry before using them – otherwise they won’t be crispy.
- Do not use green or dark-spotted potatoes.
- If you do not have enough potato peels you can store them in an airtight container up to 3 days in the fridge till you have enough to make.
- This recipe can also be used to make chips from all kinds of skins. Think of carrots, beets, or zucchini.
You will need:
Potato skins from 7-10 potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons paprika powder
½ teaspoon of ginger powder
(Or any of your favourite spices)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Put the potato peels in the bowl
- Add the olive oil, pepper and salt, paprika powder and ginger powder. Mix well.
- Spread them out on the baking sheet on the baking tray
- Put in the oven for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, turn the peels around and leave them to bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how crispy you like the chips.
- When crispy enough, serve the potato peel chips in a bowl and add some toppings such as spring onions or some extra spices.