Next to sharing and exploring sustainable businesses in Rotterdam we are also very eager to make our homes as sustainable as possible. Therefor we share a few of our favourite tips with you. Let’s talk about on the go alternatives!
It’s amazing what a few changes can do to reduce our waste at home but what about when we are on the go? It can be overwhelming to have a zero waste lifestyle in a day but we advise everyone that take a look at your items, what is the easiest you can change in a few days? Start from there and every time something has to be replaced, replace it with an eco friendly alternative. Here are some things you can change to make your journeys less wasteful.
1. A reusable water bottle is essential when traveling. You can refill your bottle with fresh water wherever possible. In The Netherlands tap water is just as good as bottled water. It is also 100 times cheaper and 1000 times less wasteful.
2. I keep a cotton bag in your bag pack just in case you buy something to refuse those single use plastic bags they offer at stores.
3. Reusable bags for veggies and fruits. These can be used for storing croissant in them but also smaller items such as a notebook or chargers so they don’t just hang around in your bag. Super handy when it comes to finding something fast! You can buy the bags at Gimsel and Ecomondo.
4. A stainless steel container is a great investment or something you can add to your birthday or Christmas gift ideas. But any other container is perfect if it is reusable for your snacks. You can buy the container at Gimsel and Ecomondo.
5. Cutlery next to the food container. It weights little and takes in so little space. Of course you can replace the bamboo cutlery with actual ones that you already have at home. You can buy the kit at Ecomondo.
6. You can also add a reusable straws to the kit as well. When in a restaurant just ask very kindly that you don’t need a straw or any other plastic items in your drink. You can buy them at Gimsel and Ecomondo.
7. A cotton napkin is a nice alternative for single use napkins or tissue paper. Keep on in your bag so you can reduce your paper waste as well. You can make one from old t-shirts or towels or buy a nice one at Dille and Kamille.
8. Stasher bag is the alternative for plastic zip bags. It is made of silicone and can be used as a bag for your snack, leftovers or while traveling for your cosmetics. Read more about the Stasher bag here.
You can buy the bag at Gimsel and Ecomondo.
9. Reusable coffee cup such as KeepCup is a prefect alternative for single use coffee cups. This cup is made of double glass so it does not brake easily. The band is made of cork and can be composted if its falls off, which did not happen to us ever. The lid is made of plastic and can be washed in the dishwasher.
10. Vegan lip balm in paper packaging which is 100% compostable from Meow Meow Tweet. We love the name, that it is vegan and that it comes in paper packaging. You can purchase it in the Netherlands here.
Good luck with making your journeys plastic free and let us know which zero waste alternative is your favourite so far! And don’t forget if it gets overwhelming think about what is the easiest you can change in a few days? Start from there and every time something has to be replaced, replace it with an eco friendly alternative. You can’t loose 60 kilos in a week you have to do that step by step. Think the same when switching to eco friendly alternatives as well.