We love pasta! I got a pasta machine for my birthday and I use it regularly! Here is a very easy pasta recipe that you can try at home even if you don’t have a pasta machine. We love to experiment on Sundays because then we have the time. We also like to pre make the pasta for the week so we have fresh tasty paste a few times in a week.
Rolling pin / Pasta machine
Ingredients (2 persons)
1/4 teaspoons of salt
Making the dough
1. Sift some flour onto a clean surface (table or counter).
2. Place the flour on the surface and make a little volcano-shaped mound with a well in the center
3. Break the eggs into this well and add the salt
4. Incorporate the eggs into the flour with a fork or your hands
5. Gradually draw the flour into the egg mixture until it forms a coarse paste
6. Add a little more flour if the mixture is too soft or sticky or add a little water if the mixture is too dry
7. Knead the dough for 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastics
8. Wrap the dough in some bees wax wrap and leave it to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge!
Making the pasta with the rolling pin
- Lightly flour you surface again and your rolling pin
- Place the though on the surface and gently roll out from the middle of the dough. Roll away from you to take the thickness away form the center, and rotate in quarter turns
- As you roll, turn the sheet of rolled dough over every now and then to keep it all even
- Keep everything well floured to avoid sticking!
- When you pasta is about 3mm thick cut it into strips of 0,5cm width
- Place your pasta on a clean kitchen towel for about 30 minutes before storing or cooking it
Making the pasta with pasta machine (please do read the machine instructions)
- Divide the dough into pieces
- Put one part of the dough through the steel rollers with the maximum aperture of about 1cm.
- Repeat this with the same piece of dough while also reducing the size of the aperture between the steel rollers.
- When the pasta is about 2-3mm thick use the machine cutting tool to make lengths of tagliatelle (widest cut)
- Mix it with a little flour and let it try for 30 minutes before storing or cooking it.
Cooking the pasta
After 30 minutes of drying, use 1 liter for 100 gram pasta. Add a little salt to the water before it begins to boil. The water must be boiling when the pasta is added. Cook the pasta for 4-5 minutes in the water. Drain the pasta and let it drain for 5 minutes. Mix it with your sauce or place it on your plate and add the sauce afterwards. Whatever you prefer!
Enjoy and let us know how it all turned out! It is all about practising and trying out new ways of making it! When you are finished, add the egg shells and the leftover pasta pieces to the compost. Read more about composting at home here.