When gardening I sometimes buy plants that are already planted. Some plants and herbs can take a while to grow therefore I brought strawberry and mint from Rotterdamse Munt. These plants come in a plastic pot, I reuse these pots to plant my own veggies in it or reuse them for other purposes such as covering plants in the evening if it’s cold.
Plants that come in pots need replanting. These plants have been sitting in the same soil for months therefore they need new nutritions to grow and produce tasty fruit and veggies.
What you need
Old paper (to cover the surface you are working on)
How to repot strawberries
1. Place your fingers between the bottom of the plant, flip the plant upside down and remove the pot. Now you can see the roots of the plant and is ready to be put in new soil.
2. Put the plant in a pot, I like to use terracotta pots because they observe water therefore the ground of the plant always stays moist. The pot can also take in the water so check every other day how the plant is doing.
3. Add some extra soil if needed and press down. Water the plant and you are ready to go.
How to repot mint
Mint is a herb that grows very fast. It can become a huge bush if you don’t cut it down. Talking from experience here! If you have too much leftover herbs we have a great solution for that too, click here for the article.
1. The first thing I like to do is putting the new organic soil in the pot, then placing the mint in the pot so I can see where I can place it. It creates a little volcano shape for later.
2. Place your fingers between the bottom of the plant and flip the plant upside down. Now I could see that the roots of the plant are already growing through the pot. That means that this plant needs new ground to grow.
3. Remove the roots that have grown through the pot if there is any. This will not damage the plant but will help to grow fresh roots when it sits in its new soil.
4. When the roots are removed, the pot will slide off the plant. Now I could really see the roots system of the plant and it looked insane!
5. Place the plant in the volcano shape that you created earlier. Add some more soil to cover the top layer and press down with your hands. Add a lot of water! This plant has to grow therefore fresh soil, sun and water is needed!
How much water and sun?
Leave it on a sunny spot, mint and strawberries need 6-8 hours of sunlight a day!
Don’t forget to water regularly! Keep the soil moist but don’t over water the plant. If you water too much the roots can start rotting or the seeds might never start growing. Don’t let it too dry either otherwise the seeds won’t start growing.
I couldn’t find soil without plastic in my neighbourhood but I reuse the plastic bag for covering plants to keep them warm in the colder nights.
Good luck and share your experiences, questions or pictures with us!