While practising a zero waste lifestyle and skincare routine, it is great to experiment with home made products. Most of what I eat is vegan and organic therefore also safe to use on my skin. Next to that, it feels very relaxing and safe that I know exactly what I put on my skin. The drawback for some people might be the time they have to put into making their own products. Fortunately, this body scrub from leftover coffee grounds takes 5 minutes to make and is enough to use for a few times!
It is such a waste to throw away coffee grounds after drinking your morning coffee! After-coffee grounds are still full of nutritions, therefore they can be used as plant fertilizer or compost as well.
For this recipe you only need a few things:
- 120 grams of coffee grounds
- 120 grams of salt or sugar (I prefer sugar)
- 60 grams of coconut oil
Airtight container or glass jar
Optional: pan and bowl if coconut oil is not liquid
How to make the scrub:
- Collect coffee grounds in a glass jar but leave the lid open, otherwise it will most probably mold.
- If your coconut oil is not liquid, melt by double-boiling.
- Let the coconut oil cool off a little before mixing it with coffee grounds and salt or sugar.
- Keep your mixture in an airtight container or glass jar.
How to use the scrub:
- Gently scrub it over your whole body as you would with any other scrub.
- You can use an additional sponge but it is not necessary.
- Rinse off with water and moisture afterwards. The scrub removes dead skin cells so your skin will feel soft.
If you have any irritations or have sensitive skin, it is best to test the treatment on a smaller surface before using it. By medical conditions, always consult your doctor or dermatologist.